Time Trial
Time trial. These are the 2 words you do not want to hear at the Kg. Pandan speedwork sessions. How you try to put these 2 words behind you, its inevitable that Coach Chan WILL pull this out of his pocket when you least expect it. Coach was early yesterday and he gave us some pep talk on how important cross training is when you are not running. Swimming is the next best alternative besides cycling. blah blah blah...
We were told to run ;
2 x 400m @ 3/4 pace
1 x 400m @ 50 fast / 50 slow
We sensed that there was something going on when he said today would not be easy. Azwar told me that there was gonna be a time trial and it might be 3km. My face turned pale. Lo and behold, time trial it was but coach said 2km only. woohoo! Coach went around taking people's name and he finally got to know mine after all this while. Azwar told me to be cautious and not go all the way coz coach is sure to have some other agenda up his sleeves. Before we started, he told us that if we felt good please go all the way coz he will give us a good rest after all the time trial. Soothing words I hear? I don't think so.
We were off and I too followed the pack, I knew I was going too fast the 1st 100m(approx 1:30 p/lap) and I pulled back and paced myself. Jessica was in front of me blazing the track and she crossed the 1st 400m 3 secs ahead of me. I did a 1:40 and this to me was fast coz it't way below my regular pace. Coach was shouting out our times at the respective markers of 500m, 1km and 2km. I was too focused on completing the 2km till I forgot to split my lap times. And as usual, Cecil and Eugene lapped me.
It was towards the last lap that I started to pull away from my pack (and also the other Japanee guy whom I was drafting behind) and started to follow Ah Sui. I wanted to go anaerobic towards the last 250m but held back coz of Azwar's words. I was breathing heavily but not wheezing as the latter is a sign of an all out assault. I crossed the line in 8:43 coz coach was shouting "Kenneth, 8:43". I was amazed myself for finishing with that kinda time. I was averaging 1:45 per lap.
When everyone was catching a breather, he told me I was OK compared to last week. Hey, is that all? Give me a break man. 8:43 to me is a good time knowing that I only started my speedwork on 15th March 2005 and if I'm not mistaken, we had a 2k time trial the same day and I came in @ 9:30. 47 secs off in my eyes is something good and helluva an improvement.
We then had to do fartleks of 6 x 400m. We had to sprint at the 100m straights and recover at the bend. This knocked the wind out of us. Coach was trailing behind us and made sure no one was WALKING. At times, you can hear him shouting ", I told you not to walk". "Jog and not distance yourself". "Front runners please slow down". "Back runners please catch up the the front runners". I couldn't help but celebrate the end of last nite's speedwork. This was one of the toughest track session and I guess there are more of these to come. Just keep your fingers crossed.
We were told to run ;
2 x 400m @ 3/4 pace
1 x 400m @ 50 fast / 50 slow
We sensed that there was something going on when he said today would not be easy. Azwar told me that there was gonna be a time trial and it might be 3km. My face turned pale. Lo and behold, time trial it was but coach said 2km only. woohoo! Coach went around taking people's name and he finally got to know mine after all this while. Azwar told me to be cautious and not go all the way coz coach is sure to have some other agenda up his sleeves. Before we started, he told us that if we felt good please go all the way coz he will give us a good rest after all the time trial. Soothing words I hear? I don't think so.
We were off and I too followed the pack, I knew I was going too fast the 1st 100m(approx 1:30 p/lap) and I pulled back and paced myself. Jessica was in front of me blazing the track and she crossed the 1st 400m 3 secs ahead of me. I did a 1:40 and this to me was fast coz it't way below my regular pace. Coach was shouting out our times at the respective markers of 500m, 1km and 2km. I was too focused on completing the 2km till I forgot to split my lap times. And as usual, Cecil and Eugene lapped me.
It was towards the last lap that I started to pull away from my pack (and also the other Japanee guy whom I was drafting behind) and started to follow Ah Sui. I wanted to go anaerobic towards the last 250m but held back coz of Azwar's words. I was breathing heavily but not wheezing as the latter is a sign of an all out assault. I crossed the line in 8:43 coz coach was shouting "Kenneth, 8:43". I was amazed myself for finishing with that kinda time. I was averaging 1:45 per lap.
When everyone was catching a breather, he told me I was OK compared to last week. Hey, is that all? Give me a break man. 8:43 to me is a good time knowing that I only started my speedwork on 15th March 2005 and if I'm not mistaken, we had a 2k time trial the same day and I came in @ 9:30. 47 secs off in my eyes is something good and helluva an improvement.
We then had to do fartleks of 6 x 400m. We had to sprint at the 100m straights and recover at the bend. This knocked the wind out of us. Coach was trailing behind us and made sure no one was WALKING. At times, you can hear him shouting "

1 Comments:
Congrats, Kenneth. Obviously, you've improved tremendously after joining the Kpg Pandan gang. Keep it up and try to target 4 min/km by this year. Sure you can do it!
Post a Comment
<< Home